Ragi is one of the best food I discover during my initial days with Kreesha. Though, she has never been fussy about food, but still introducing ragi helped me add flavours and different taste to her diet. It is the best substitute to wheat for infants.
Nutritional Value of Ragi:
According to the nutrient database of the U.S.D.A (United States Department Of Agriculture) are as follows:
- Calorie Intake: 385
Folic Acid 3%
Vitamin C 7%
Vitamin E 4.6%
Benefits of Ragi for infants and toddlers:
- Ragi is rich in fibres which help in easy digestion of food and makes them feel full.
- Presence of Amino acids helps in cutting down excess fat around liver, thus reducing cholesterol level in child body
- Prevents obesity in kids
- Does not cause weight loss
- Rich source of calcium
- Contains high amount of Vitamin C which helps in absorption of Iron in body
- Ragi contains high fibre and polyphenol which controls the sugar level in our bodies
- Helps in strong bone building
- Supports Gluten Free Diet
- Helps maintain bone density
- Helps baby in sound sleep and control their anxiety levels
- Vitamin B3 / Niacin and high dietary fibre content helps maintain good HDL level reducing bad LDL level
- Controls Bowel movement in kids
Recipes for Infants and Toddlers
Ragi Roti: Mash boiled 1/2 potato to 1 cup flour. Now add water to knead a soft dough. Grease tawa / pan with slight ghee. Prepare evenly flattened roti. Place the same onto tawa. Cook on medium heat. When turn brown turn side and cook again.
Ragi Chila: Mix 2 spoon of flour in water to get dosa like consistency batter, add salt to taste. Prepare chilla and serve mashed.
Important Tip: Always Ragi dishes with curd